If you have terminated an employment contract and an employee raises an unfair and or wrongful dismissal claim against you, our team of experienced Employment team are able to assist you in defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal.
When acting in such matters costs are calculated based on our hourly fee rates. The cost of your matter will depend upon the complexity however below are the average ranges for simple, medium, and high complexity matters.
Range of costs
Simple matters: £2,500 to £10,000 plus VAT (currently 20%)
Medium complexity case: £10,000 to £30,000 plus VAT (currently 20%)
High complexity case: £30,000 to £250,000 plus VAT (currently 20%)
The above costs would include:
- Taking initial instructions;
- Consideration of contract of employment;
- Consideration of employers handbook;
- Consideration of any disciplinary findings;
- Advising on merits and likely compensation;
- Liaising with ACAS;
- Completion of claim form outlining your case and the nature of the dispute (ET1);
- Completing the response from when a claim has been made against you (ET3);
- Defending claim up including disclosure, interlocutory stages and trial.
Please note – The above costs do not include appeal costs or Counsel fees should we need to instruct Counsel. Please see Additional Disbursements below.
Factors that may increase complexity:
- Attendance at conference(s) with Counsel and at Tribunal hearing;
- Obtaining witness statements;
- Jurisdictional issues;
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person;
- Defending a costs application;
- Multiple claimants or respondents;
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties);
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer;
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal.
Alternatively, as the fees are calculated on an hourly fee basis if a matter settles early, or if the client assists in the claim e.g. preparing trial bundle, then the cost will be decreased.
Additional disbursements that you may be required to pay:
- Counsel’s fees if required. Estimated at between £5000 and £20,000 for a medium complexity matter;
- Photocopying charges (particularly in respect of disclosure and preparation of trial bundle);
- Experts fees (e.g. preparation of a medical report).
Timescales for employment matters will vary according to complexity. We estimate that employment matters are usually concluded in between 3 to 12 months.
The team is led by Laura Livingstone who is the head of department based in London. Laura has over 24 years of post-qualification experience and is supported by a strong team of skilled and experienced individuals.
Click on the links below to view the profiles of our employment team members.
- Martin Pratt – Partner, Head of Employment
- Marie van der Zyl – Partner
- Rebecca Lynch – Partner
- Holly Freuchen – Associate
For more information
For more information about using our professional services for unfair or wrongful dismissal claims, please get in touch either by telephone, email or our website enquiry form. One of our team would be delighted to speak to you and provide you with a fixed fee bespoke to your needs.