UK Residency and Citizenship Opportunity for Hong Kong Residents

News / / Hong Kong, UK Residency and Citizenship Opportunity for Hong Kong Residents

The UK Government has earlier this week announced the opportunity for residents in Hong Kong holding British National Overseas (BNO) passports and their dependants to be able to apply for residency in the United Kingdom, via an immigration route that will lead to permanent residency and full British Citizenship after a five year period.

Those granted residency via this route will be given permission to reside for a five year period and can immediately work, establish a business or study and bring their spouse and dependant children, even if they are not holders of BNO passports. The immigration requirements will be minimal, with for example no requirement to demonstrate a minimum salary and no requirement to demonstrate considerable savings, as is the case with some other family migration routes to the UK.

This immigration route offers a great opportunity for those looking to move to the UK to start a new life, to work or study at some of our world renowned academic institutions and to invest, or buy a home at a time when property values are very competitive. The UK government has stated that in their view these opportunities have resulted following the imposition of security laws in Hong Kong, which restrict freedoms and rights and take away much of Hong Kong’s autonomy, the protection of which was previously agreed between the Chinese and British Governments in 1997.

Ince is an international law firm with a respected Immigration Department and via our offices in Hong Kong and London we will be happy to advise and represent those interested in relocating to the UK.  Our team will be able to secure the required visa for you and your family and advise on other elements of your intended relocation, such as the schooling for your children, investments, tax and the purchase of residential and commercial property in the UK.   We are a “one stop shop” and here to help and advise you on your move to the United Kingdom.

Contact Alan Platt – Immigration Director at Ince via

Related services: